I am being flooded with queries/email regarding how to access Bitcoin Gold and where to sell it.
I am really surprised to know how many are eager to dump or trade their BTG and buy other altcoins.
And why not? The BTG project has already given several hints of it being a shady altcoin. If you don’t think so, then go through my previous post on Bitcoin Gold:
But before I start telling you where to sell your Bitcoin Gold, I want to clarify a few things about this Bitcoin Gold fork.
1. The Bitcoin Gold fork has already happened around October 24, 6 am UTC at the block height of 491407. So at this time, if you had your BTC in a wallet where you control your private keys or you had your BTC in a BTG-supported exchange, then you are eligible to access or claim your BTG.
2. As of now, the actual hard fork on the blockchain didn’t happen; rather, it was a snapshot hard fork. This simply means that a snapshot of the Bitcoin blockchain was taken at the block height of 491407 and BTC HODLers who had BTC at that time will be eligible for BTG when the actual BTG blockchain is live. So, in short, this snapshot fork acts as if it was the actual fork on the blockchain itself.
3. This was a theoretical hard fork, which doesn’t exist right now.
4. So how are exchanges crediting BTG to its users? You are not getting real BTG. You are getting a token representing an equivalent amount of BTG which will be credited to exchange users when the BTG blockchain is live. But there are still futures of BTG trading on these exchanges.
5. The BTG blockchain is expected to go live on the 1st of November 2017 according to their initial statement, but I don’t see that happening as this is not a hard deadline for them as shared by their lead dev in their Slack.
6. As of this writing, BTG has not developed a strong replay protection system. It also seems that they don’t have the required expertise to do that because they are running a bounty program for help.
7. BTC holders who are holding their coins in wallets such as Exodus, Coinomi, Blockchain.info, or something similar will not be able to access BTG until the actual blockchain is live, which is expected to happen in November.
8. Lastly, many users have asked what price I expect for BTG. I see its price being between 2% to 8% of BTC provided there is enough infrastructure like wallets, exchanges, etc. to support it.
Note: Get ready to sell your BTG.
BTG Blockchain Launch Date: November 12, 2017 – 7:00 PM (19:00 UTC)
Now that you know the exact status of the Bitcoin Gold fork (at the time of this writing), I think it is prudent to tell you about the exchanges where you can sell your BTG when it is all ready to go.
Best Websites To Sell Bitcoin Gold
Binance, one of the most popular and fastest-growing exchanges, has also distributed BTG tokens and opened markets for trading BTG.
For more on Binance, see our detailed guide: “Binance Cryptocurrency: A Unique And Rapidly Growing Crypto Exchange“.
Binance took the screenshot at block 491,407 on 2017/10/24 01:20:39 (UTC Time) and started trading it for its users immediately after.
Actual deposit/withdrawal of BTG is still not active on Binance, but expect it to be available when the BTG blockchain is stable and ready.
If you wish to trade BTG tokens, the following trading pairs are available on Binance (this can be done only if you had BTC on Binance at the time of the Bitcoin Gold fork snapshot):
Changelly which one of the easiest to use cryptocurrency exchange that has also now listed Bitcoin Gold.
Those of you who don’t know about Changelly.Changelly is a product of the mining pool, MinerGate, which has a proven track record of consistently good products being put out into the crypto-space.
One of the best things about Changelly is that you don’t need to go through any lengthy verification or registration process. You just log in with your email ID (or any email ID) and start exchanging!
Currently, it supports more than 70 cryptocurrencies along with fiat pairs such as USD/EUR. It is one of the best and easiest to use exchanges out there. If you want to know more, check out Harsh’s review on Changelly.
When you use Changelly to exchange cryptocurrency, Changelly bots connect in real time to some of the best and busiest cryptocurrency exchanges in the market to get you the best price.
After Bitfinex, Binance suspended the trading of Bitcoin gold, Bleutrade turned out to be the best place to sell your Bitcoin Gold. We have tested depositing BTG on Bleutrade and exchange it for BTG. So far, its the best exchange for selling your Bitcoin Gold.
HitBTC is a multi-cryptocurrency global trading platform that has been operating since 2013. They have also officially announced to support Bitcoin Gold post-fork.
HitBTC has allocated BTG tokens in a 1:1 ratio to its users.
Actual deposit/withdrawal of BTG is still now active on HitBTC and you can trade it with BTC and few other pairs.
If you wish to trade BTG tokens, the following trading pairs are available on HitBTC (this can be done only if you had BTC on HitBTC at the time of the Bitcoin Gold fork snapshot):
Here is their verification policy and verification guide.
Bitfinex is one of the biggest Bitcoin exchanges out there. Like most of the biggest BTC exchanges, after the fork, Bitfinex provided its BTC holders with BTG tokens.
For this, Bitfinex has introduced its new Chain Split Tokens (CSTs) that will allow traders to trade on the potential activation and mining of the Bitcoin Gold consensus protocol. Note: Bitfinex will only be assigning BTG to balances greater than or equal to 0.01 BTC.
Actual deposit/withdrawal of BTG is still not active on Bitfinex, but expect it to be available when the BTG blockchain is stable and ready.
If you wish to trade BTG tokens, the following trading pairs are available on Bitfinex (this can be done if you had BTC on Bitfinex at the time of the Bitcoin Gold fork snapshot and also by depositing new BTC and exchanging them into CSTs):
YoBit is a Chinese exchange that has also started trading Bitcoin Gold. It officially announced support for Bitcoin Gold on its official Twitter handle.
And as announced, it has credited BTG tokens to its users and its trading has started on YoBit.
Actual deposit/withdrawal of BTG is still not active on YoBit, but expect it to be available when the BTG blockchain is stable and ready.
If you wish to trade BTG tokens, the following trading pairs are available on YoBit (this can be done only if you had BTC on YoBit at the time of the Bitcoin Gold fork snapshot):
BitStar is another exchange that has started pre-trading BTG.
It has credited BTG tokens to its users in a 1:1 ratio, and has also introduced the provision of BTG trading even if you didn’t have BTC on the exchange at the time of the snapshot fork. Read here how you can do that.
Actual deposit/withdrawal of BTG is still not active on BitStar, but expect it to be available when the BTG blockchain is stable and ready.
If you wish to trade BTG tokens, the following trading pairs are available on BitStar (this can be done if you had BTC on BitStar at the time of the Bitcoin Gold fork snapshot and also by depositing new BTC now by using their BTG Split/Merge feature):
BitFlyer, one of the biggest Bitcoin exchanges in Japan by volume, has also revealed its plans for BTG. It has calculated and credited BTG to its users’ accounts in a 1:1 ratio, but trading hasn’t yet begun.
Actual deposit/withdrawal of BTG is still not active on BitFlyer, but expect it to be available when the BTG blockchain is stable and ready.
Here is a sneak-peak of their plans:
Some more exchanges/wallets who are supporting Bitcoin Gold
There are a few more exchanges/wallets and mining pools that are interested in supporting Bitcoin Gold. But it seems that they have secretly declared their support. I was not able to find substantial official information from them, so I haven’t listed them.
I will be updating this list soon as I get more concrete official information, so keep an eye here on CoinSutra.
I have shared previously that forks are an integral part of the decentralized money system, so they are not a thing to get worried or afraid about.
Rather, I think they’re an opportunity for crypto users to become more mature in understanding this crypto-sphere, and also as a test for the strength Bitcoin.
Lastly, needless to say, it will be interesting to see how the story of BTG goes from here.
So that’s all from my side in this article.
Now it’s time that to hear from you: Which BTG exchange you are using? Are your selling your BTG or HODLING it? Let me know in the comments below!
Next: I will be publishing a list of wallets through which you can claim your BTG if you had kept your BTC in your control at the time of the snapshot fork.
Note: Theoretically, the Bitcoin Gold fork has already happened around October 24, 6 am UTC at the block height of 491407. So if you are transferring your BTC now, you might not get BTG because the fork has already occurred. Regarding claiming your BTG through wallets, we will publish further instructions shortly. Happy Forking
- The Complete Guide To Claiming Bitcoin Gold On Ledger Nano S
- How To Claim Your Free Bitcoin Gold [BTG] From Any Wallet
If you liked this post, don’t forget to share it on Twitter & Facebook!
Harsh Agrawal is the Crypto exchanges and bots experts for CoinSutra. He founded CoinSutra in 2016, and one of the industry’s most regarded professional blogger in fintech space.
An award-winning blogger with a track record of 10+ years. He has a background in both finance and technology and holds professional qualifications in Information technology.
An international speaker and author who loves blockchain and crypto world.
After discovering about decentralized finance and with his background of Information technology, he made his mission to help others learn and get started with it via CoinSutra.
Join us via email and social channels to get the latest updates straight to your inbox.