NEO is considered as the Chinese Ethereum and had China not banned cryptocurrencies, NEO price would have definitely skyrocketed. But even after Chinese cryptocurrency ban, NEO price stayed consistent and is now rising as more news about NEO is emerging.
Anyway, this guide is more about helping you keep your NEO tucked in safely in a hardware wallet instead of NEO’s price speculation. Also, if you are interested in knowing more about NEO, you should definitely have a look at our comprehensive intro guide on NEO: NEO Cryptocurrency: Everything You Need to Know.
Coming back to our original topic of discussion, of course, there is no doubt that hardware wallets are the best way to store your cryptocurrencies securely and also be able to use it. Ledger is one such hardware wallet that supports many cryptocurrencies including NEO.
I had earlier published many guides to help a newbie understand about Ledger wallet and if you haven’t read them, it’s a good time to read all of them one by one. Open these links in a new tab and read them once you are done reading this tutorial. I am pretty confident that you will find something fruitful in them.
- Which Cryptocurrencies Are Supported By The Ledger Wallet?
- Ledger Nano S Review: Things To Know Before Ordering The Ledger Wallet
For this NEO’s wallet on Ledger Nano S tutorial, I assume you already have a ledger wallet and know how to use it. With this understanding, let’s move ahead and learn something new today.
How to use NEO wallet on Ledger Hardware wallet:
Ledger offers various cryptocurrencies wallets and they call them applications. You can install 5 applications (different cryptocurrency wallets) at a given time and to use NEO wallet. Your Ledger should be updated to 1.3.1 firmware at least.
NEO Wallet on Ledger works with the NEON wallet which is an open source cross-platform light wallet for the NEO blockchain available on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
With Ledger, you remove the risk of getting your NEO hacked and you don’t have to manage your NEO wallet private key anymore. Moreover, to send NEO or Gas, one needs to have access to your Ledger hardware device and that’s what makes it impossible for any hacker having access to your computer to hack your NEO coins.
To get started:
- Connect Ledger wallet to your computer
- Open Ledger manager chrome app
- Install NEO app on Ledger by clicking on Installation button in front of NEO wallet on Ledger manager app
- You need to confirm installation on your ledger wallet by clicking on the right button
- Now, Download Neon Wallet for your OS and install it
- Click on NEO icon on Ledger wallet and it should show Wake up, NEO
- Open NEON Wallet and select the option that says login using a Ledger
- On the next screen, you will see the message that says “Found USB Ledger Nano S Success. NEO App Found on Hardware Device. Click Button Above to Login”
- Click on Use Ledger Nano S and from here you will be able to access NEON wallet.
- Even when you claim GAS or do any kind of transactions which require you to send NEO or GAS, you need to authorize it from Ledger Nano S. This feature makes keeping your NEO and GAS secure.
From now on whenever you need to access your NEO or GAS, you just need to open the NEON wallet and log in using Ledger. Being a long time user of Ledger and holding some NEO, I heartily welcome this move.
It’s so good to see Ledger team adding support for many new cryptocurrencies and thus making it easier for us to securely HODL coins for the longer term.
Once you start using NEON + Ledger combo, do let me know your experience in the comments section below. Also, if you want to share any other tip or give us feedback, you can email us at [email protected]coinsutra.com
Here are a few hand-picked articles for you to read next: