I will be straight to the point in this write-up.
Following the fork, CoinSutra had published its detailed guide for claiming Bitcoin Gold (BTG). Here is the write-up for your reference: How To Claim Your Free Bitcoin Gold [BTG] From Any Wallet
However, we observed that many readers of our blog reported that they did not have an Android device to claim BTG via the aforementioned linked procedure.
And this was the time that we realized that many users who do not have android devices will not be able to claim their BTG following the mentioned method.
So we figured an alternate way of recovering Bitcoin Gold with little to no dependency on iOS or Android. Following the method we have concluded at, you will be able to claim your BTG on any machine i.e Mac/Windows/ Linux desktop or laptop.
I know some of you would say that some companies have launched iOS wallets for BTG but we haven’t reviewed them yet so we won’t be suggesting those wallets to our audience because your security is our priority. Also, we want you to access your BTG as soon as possible because it has a decent price tag – approximately $315 per unit.
To check other detailed stories on Bitcoin Gold, refer to the links below:
- Bitcoin Gold Fork Coming: How To Double Your Bitcoins
- How To Claim Your Free Bitcoin Gold [BTG] From Any Wallet
So what is the other way out, you may ask? It is actually quite simple!
Step By Step Guide To Claim Your BTG
What You Need To Claim Your BTG
You need the following:
- A Mac/Windows/Linux machine (desktop/laptop) with the Chrome browser on it
- ARC Welder chrome extension on your Chrome browser
- Coinomi Wallet’s APK. Download this from here
- Seed words or recover phrase from your BTC wallet
Once you have these things ready, follow the steps below:
#1 Go to chrome extensions and launch your ARC extension as shown below.
#2 After successfully launching the ARC, add your Coinomi Wallet’s apk as shown in the below image.
#5 Take your ‘seed words’ of the BTC wallet in which you had your BTC at the moment of Bitcoin Gold fork. Wallets like Jaxx, Mycelium, Ledger, Blockchain.info, Exodus, or any other wallet that supports BIP44 type key generation can be used for claiming this. Do a simple Google search to check if your BTC wallet is BIP44 supported.
#6 Once you have the seed words (or recovery phrases) which are the 12, 18 or 24-word long phrases, use this along with Coinomi wallet interface for restoring your BTC wallet on Coinomi by clicking “Restore A Wallet” option as shown below.
#7 After selecting “Restore A Wallet” option you will see this screen where you need to enter your ‘seed words/ recovery phrase’ and click ‘NEXT’
#8 After clicking ‘Next’ it will prompt you to set a password for Coinomi for every day use and we also recommend you to keep this password and click ‘NEXT’
#9 Once you are done with step 8, you will land at the interface below, where you need to select Bitcoin and click “FINISH”
#10. Now your BTC wallet is restored. Once your BTC wallet has been restored on Coinomi using the seed keys, you will be able to see the BTC balance you had at the time of the fork.
#11. Now in your Coinomi wallet, click on the top left menu, and hit the “+ COINS” button. Select “BitcoinGold” from the mind-blowing list of Coinomi’s 86 supported coins and 214 tokens.
#12. A pop-up dialogue will appear asking if BitcoinGold should be added. Hit the“ADVANCED SETTINGS” button. If you clicked “Add” instead, you need to delete your BitcoinGold wallet and add a new one. In the “Derivation Path” section, enter: M/44H/0H/0H
Note: The characters before “H” are the number zero and not the letter O.
#13. Now click “ADD”.
#14. BOOM,🌟⚡💥🌟⚡💥🌟⚡💥 TaDa! Your $BTG wallet is now ready and you can see both your BTC and BTG balances at 1:1 ratio.
A Few More Important Things To Note…
1. If you have more than one Bitcoin wallet in your Coinomi account and you want to claim the equivalent BTG, you will have to repeat the above process, replacing the last zero with the (zero-based) account index each time. So for the second wallet, this would be M/44H/0H/1H, and for the third wallet it would be M/44H/0H/2H, and so on.
2. Claim your Bitcoin Gold (BTG) from a paper wallet by this method: If you have the private keys in the form of paper wallet than by this Coinomi wallet’s interface you will be able to claim your BTG.
- You need to access Coinomi by the same way as shown above via ARC.
- Now instead of restoring your old BTC wallet, make a new one.
- Add “BTG wallet” in the same way as shown in above step no ‘#11, #12, & #13‘.
- Your new BTG wallet is ready which has zero balance.
- Now go to BTG wallet and select ‘Sweep’ option as shown below.
- Sweep your private keys of paper wallet in the valid format as shown below and click ‘NEXT’. Now you should be able to see your BTG in some time.
- Coinomi doesn’t yet support SegWit addresses starting with ‘3’, so with this method, you will not be able to claim your BTG if you had BTC on a SegWit address at the time of the fork.
- This doesn’t mean that SegWit address holders will not be able to claim BTG; rather, these users will have to wait until either BTG’s official wallet comes out or Coinomi starts supporting SegWit addresses.
- Also, the Bitcoin Gold Fork has already happened (October 24, around 6 am UTC at block height 491407). So if you are trying to claim BTG by transferring in BTC that you didn’t own prior to this date, you probably won’t get BTG.
- Beware of SCAM wallets/websites surrounding Bitcoin Gold who are frantically preying on immature users to get a hold of their seed keys. Don’t use your seed words/private keys on splitting tools or 3rd party wallets unless you are 100% sure about it.
Here is the official blog post from the Coinomi team on the Bitcoin Gold fork and how to claim your free BTG.
Also, If you enjoyed this tutorial, do share it with your friends on Twitter & Reddit who are struggling to claim their BTG. Feel free to drop a comment if you still have issues.